Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the “Journey to Denver” for the Turf and Ornamental Communicators Association 2020 Annual Meeting is now a little longer. The TOCA Annual Meeting, originally scheduled for April 28-30, 2020, in Denver, Colorado, has been rescheduled to August 25-27, 2020. Denver remains the host city.
TOCA 2020 Annual Meeting
31st TOCA Annual Meeting August 25-27, 2020
Crown Plaza Downtown Denver, Denver, Colorado
Reserve your hotel room here.
Last day to reserve your room is 8.3.2020
Tuesday, August 25
2 p.m. – Board of Directors Meeting
5:30 p.m. – Informal meet and greet in hotel bar for attendees
6:15 p.m. – Go to Colorado Rockies game vs. Chicago White Sox (optional)
This is a $50 a la carte option on the registration.
Share Uber/Lyft to the game. 8-minute drive from hotel to Coors Field.
Wednesday, August 26
8:30 a.m. – Welcome & Introductions
9:00 a.m. – Scholarship and Internship Recognition
9:30 a.m. – Environmental Communicator of the Year – sponsored by Project EverGreen
9:50 a.m. – Volunteer of the Year
10:00 a.m. – Break
10:15 a.m. – PANEL: “Communicating in a highly regulated industry”
- How to get creative with saying what you need to in a regulated industry like cannabis
- How to turn negatives into a positive
- How to work with the regulations, etc.
- Targeting your audience without upsetting those opposing cannabis
- Ricardo Baca, founder of the Grasslands Agency and former cannabis editor for The Denver Post.
- Brad Roddy, director of operations for Medicine Man Denver
- Kristen Nichols, Hemp Industry Daily
- Rich Cardinal, managing director of Next Big Crop and published thought leader
11:45 p.m. – Box lunch and change for tour + Top Golf
12:30 p.m. – Board bus for Mile High Stadium
2:30 p.m. – Depart Mile High for Top Golf
3 p.m. – Top Golf + Silent Auction/Reception
6 p.m. – Bus departs Top Golf
6:30 p.m. – Arrive back at Crown Plaza
Evening on own.
Thursday, August 27
7 a.m. – TOCA Run/Walk Club
8 a.m. – Breakfast
9 a.m. – Keynote – Influencer Marketing How do you find an influencer?
- How do you measure their effectiveness?
- How do you nuture that relationship?
- How do you pay them?
10:15 a.m. – Break
10:30 a.m. – Keynote II – Influencer Marketing continued
Noon – Lunch
12:45 p.m. – Group Photo
1:15 p.m. – Green Industry Outlook in an Election Year – David Crow, DCLRS
- Once again, David Crow makes his election year appearance at the TOCA meeting. This year, David will talk about advocacy in our industry – GCSAA, RISE, OPEI, Irrigation Association. GCSAA recently got $3 million in turfgrass research funding in an ag bill. David will speak about legislative and regulatory activity and how different political parties help with getting product registration through EPA and how different political parties help with that piece of the puzzle.
2:45 p.m. – Break
3:00 p.m. – Young Professional End User Panel (Moderated by Scott Hollister)
- Young golf course superintendents and lawn care operators will share personal preferences when it comes to media. What information do they look for from manufacturers? How do they use traditional media versus social media? How do they like their content to be packaged; video, podcasts, blogs? What are some tools that make their lives easier?
4 p.m. – Business Meeting
5 p.m. – Adjourn
6:30 p.m. – Reception
7 p.m. – Dinner
7:30 p.m. – Hall of Fame Induction
7:45 p.m. – Awards Program
Friday, August 28
9 a.m. – (Optional) Tour Medicine Man Denver
Non-sanctioned TOCA event. This is an optional tour of the Medicine Man Denver’s cannabis growing facility and dispensary. All participants must be 21 or older and provide an ID. Bradley Roddy is the director of operations for the Medicine Man Denver. Tour participants will find their own transportation or carpool to this facility.
Medicine Man Denver is approximately 20 minutes from the Crowne Plaza and is “on the way” to the Denver International Airport. The airport is an additional 20 minutes from Medicine Man Denver.